22 June 2015

Day 103 / 104 - Year 6: Check


If you've ever read my About page, you know that I started this blog as a means to nicely print our year-end portfolio into a cute little bound book.  And, I did that in 2012, and 2013, and 2014.  Sometimes, however, life happens (and you prepare for a move).  This year, there was no nicely bound printed book for our annual portfolio.  Most of homeschooling centers around flexibility and adaptability.  I've joked that I'm considering changing the name of this blog to 65 Days of Homeschooling, so that I can finish posting within ample time to get the book to the printers.

Due to our scheduling, two weeks ago we needed to meet with our Assessor.  Fortunately, I was able to print out some blog pages, gather some of my children's academic work, and hole-punch our way to a successful portfolio assessment.  My children did a fantastic job talking through many of their achievements, events, and lessons from this past year.  I've posted several times before (check the 2014 link above) about how essential and rewarding I think this process is.

I have never succeeded with 'To Do' lists.  Usually, I embrace the idea of a 'Done' list. At the end of each day, I list 8 - 10 items I've completed that are accomplishments worth celebrating (even as simple as Worked Out, Folded Laundry, Tried a New Recipe, etc). This eliminates any overwhelming feelings of stress and allows me the simplicity and satisfaction of daily pride and joy.  Even more so with homeschooling.

As I scrolled through my blog to assemble our year-end homeschooling portfolio, I was reminded again of this principle. Looking back on the year, I remembered how my children taught themselves division and Latin. I revisited them constructing schools out of card-board boxes, sewing Shakespeare-themed Halloween costumes, and learning how to draw the world from memory. I re-watched them struggle through hard conversations and decisions. Most of this was completed without my instruction. They are incredible children. We are on an unimaginable journey. There is so much worth celebrating!  Our portfolio allows us to do that.

If you don't embrace a habit like this one, I'd invite you to start. I believe being prideful and joyful in my homeschool journey anchors my soul with hope. Join me in this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment