27 January 2015

Day 57 / 104 - Life Happens At The Table

Last fall, I shared how so much of our life happens around our dining room table.  Then, I posted about it again.  Our dining room table truly is the command center for our educational journey.  I don't mind it at all.  In fact, I've become rather fond of it.  As I have evolved as a homeschooler, I have learned to embrace and enjoy this mess.  I even want to document it.


Okay, some days it's not always 100% enjoyable.  Here, Ryan Gosling shares an exact quote from my husband.


Some days, it's not always a complete disaster.


Regardless of the state of this dining room table, there is life happening around it.


If you know me, you know that I love to take pictures of our day-to-day life.  I aim to take one picture (just one!) everyday.  This has been a simple addition to my life over the last few years, and has helped me to document our life and to preserve our memories.  Plus, it's the easiest way to make a scrapbook with very minimal work!!

In one of my previous posts from the fall, I mentioned how simple it would be to document our entire year with regular photographs of the life that happens around our dining room table.  Nothing captures our day-to-day life more perfectly than snapshots of the activity around this table.  My friend Gina encouraged me to follow-through with that challenge, and she even decided to join in on the fun.  Visit this link to witness all the happenings around her table with her darling family.


View my dining room table from yesterday afternoon.  Note what's happening ...

1./2.  I'm embarrassed to say how long this packing paper has been stacked on our table.  Yesterday we brought some of it to life by drawing maps of Asia and diagramming sentences on it.

3.  We're a little late to the party, but my children have begun reading The Hunger Games.

4.  Latin is always easier when we have constant access to the declension endings.

5.  My son and I will begin a new study of Human Anatomy this Thursday.  We will be learning, memorizing, and drawing the body systems and structures.  I'm looking forward to this!

Would you like to accompany us in taking note of what is happening around your table?  Gina and I are excited to collaborate with this new memory-keeping blog post series.  We'll also document on Instagram using the tag #LifeHappensAtTheTable.  Follow along and share your memories!  Enjoy the life that happens around your table.

P.S.  I went back through seven years of pictures (that's how long we've had this table) in hopes to find a picture of my husband at it.  I couldn't find one!  He joked, "That's because there's not room for me to sit and eat at the table."  I did find this picture of when he prepared his food for a 24-hour obstacle course race he completed in 2013.  My husband doesn't sit very often anyway, so this picture captures him quite accurately.


P.P.S.  I also found this blog post from when I was a fairly new homeschooler and believed I still had the ability to organize my dining room table.  Someone needs to respond with, bless her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment