23 April 2013

Day 96 / 102 - Chart A Memory Book


For our Essentials program, Chart A is our foundation. (You will only get that play on words if you're a CC homeschooler).  Chart A has us memorizing all the essentials of English Grammar (parts of speech; sentence structures, patterns, and purposes; basic skeletons to diagram sentences; and more).  My children have had this information memorized for awhile, but recently I've decided they need to take their knowledge and apply it.  Rather than just knowing the Four Structures of sentences, I've wanted them to be able to tell me that a compound sentence is two independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction.  Then, I want them to give me an example of a compound sentence.  Rather than just listing off the Eight Parts of Speech, I want them to define for me (with examples) a noun, a pronoun, an interjection, etc.


To help them with this task, today we whipped up this little memory book full of information from Chart A.  We have the basic framework of the chart spelled out on different colored paint swatches (thank you Walmart!).  We then added definitions, examples, and even pictures to help us remember what these elements of grammar are and how they are used.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use the paint swatches - index cards can get a little boring. :)
    Thanks for sharing your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are new to Essentials after completing our first year of Foundations in April. Can you tell me if the colors you chose for the memory book have significance or are personal choice? Thanks! wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy ...

      Not terribly significant, although I did try to keep the various categories in different colors. For example, purposes in one color, structures in one color, patterns in one color, etc.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete