27 March 2012

Day 72 / 101 - More Map Work

Earlier this fall I posted a US states and capitals map that my daughter had made.  The map pictured above is my son's.  Along with memorizing and identifying all the states and capitals this year, my children are also learning and identifying, on a US map, over 70 geographical features (i.e. mountain ranges, rivers, deserts, lakes, canals, etc.)  Once again, the simplest way for them to retain and master this information is to draw the map.  First they trace it, then they trace it again, then they trace it a third time, and on and on until they are able to draw the map from memory.

The picture above is a traced version of the map, but I'm hoping within the next few weeks, my son will be able to reproduce this map entirely from memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment