05 June 2012

Day 95 / 101 - Rewrite the Sentence


Earlier this year I posted a diagramming activity that my son and I tried to accomplish daily.  The activity is taken from our Essentials curriculum.  For each sentence we identify the purpose (declarative, imperative, interrogative, exclamatory) and the structure (simple, compound, complex, compound-complex), as well as the pattern.  After that we would diagram the sentence and end our assignment for the morning, even though we were given a few 'additional tasks' if we had time.  I always thought we never had time.

Well, even though our Essentials curriculum has wrapped up for the school year, I have tried to return to some activities that I thought we didn't have time for during the school year.  I wish I would have been doing this one all along!  I think this is the best assignment suggested.  All we are doing is rewriting a sentence by purpose and structure.  It is simple and manageable (takes less than 5 minutes a day), yet has been the quickest way for both my children to quickly master the different sentence purposes as well as what is needed to change a sentence structure (independent clauses, dependent clauses, conjunctions, etc).  I guarantee you, we will be doing this task nearly everyday this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment